What is the course?
The Diploma in Professional Coach-Mentoring is our new flexible EMCC Practitioner Level qualification designed for those who like more choice over which skills they develop, what approach they chose and when they develop them.
Who is it for?
This programme is suitable for independent or internal coaches. We will support you through a stretching and challenging process that is designed to develop coach-mentors who are agile in approach, reflective in practice and committed to delivering impactful, ethically minded coaching and mentoring, regardless of the situation or context. We build on your existing skill set so it's suitable for novice and experienced coach-mentors alike.
Scroll down to read more about the programme.
Duration – 12 months registration period, can be completed within 7
Workshops – at least 5
Time Commitment – 180 hours
Accreditation – EMCC European Quality Award (EQA) at Practitioner Level and this includes the building blocks towards gaining European Individual Accreditation (EIA) of your coach-mentoring practice
Cost – independent £4,995 + VAT, corporate £5,495 + VAT
Dates and Locations: Start when you want and select a range of workshops from our CPD Calendar
Contact: Ed Parsloe
- Flexible – start when you want and select workshops that you fit with your commitments and interests
- Choice – choose to develop the skills you need to be effective in your situation and context
- Highly practical – lots of opportunity to practice and recieve feedback on workshops, observed practice days and with real life coaching clients
- Develop an impactful approach – we develop flexible, authentic coach-mentors who create impact in a range of situations and contexts
- Suitable for experienced coaches - we build on your existing skills and you can tailor it to meet your development needs
- Expert content - content designed and delivered by expert coach-mentoring practitioners
- 1-2-1 support – develop your authentic style and reflective practice skills through regular individual sessions with your own coach-mentor-supervisor
- Built in EIA – from day 1 we support your career progression for the next 3 to 5 years by embedding EIA requirements into the course and your practice
- Trusted brand – trusted partner of the CIPD since 2004, we’re a brand you can trust in a crowded market place.
There are over 500 coaching and mentoring courses in the UK, most of which are highly structured, largely repetitive in nature and (almost) universally unimaginative in outcome. Candidates are spoon fed content, told how to coach and taken through a process at the end of which they are declared a “qualified” coach or mentor.
We see things slightly differently…
We believe in choice and personal responsibility. We give you choice of when you want to start and of what workshops you attend. We allow you to select topics that are relevant to you and the type of coach-mentor you want to become. We encourage you to take responsibility for your own learning by insisting upon self-management and creating your own timetable for study.
You won’t be left to flounder, we provide you with your own Coach-Mentor Supervisor (CMS) and Course Tutor / Assessor who will guide you through your own unique learning journey, helping to embed learning and develop your reflective practice skills.
Whilst this approach might be uncomfortable to those accustomed to a more directive pedagogy, we know that the coach-mentor that emerges is more authentic to the individual, is more agile in their approach and more effective in a wider range of situations and contexts.
It couldn’t be simpler. We have split the course into Core Content (approx. 110 hours) which is mandatory and Elective Content (approx. 40 hours) which is chosen by you. All you need to do is tell us when you want to start, what workshops you want to attend from our workshop calendar and we do the rest! You will be assigned your own CMS who provides an individual course briefing who, together with your Course Tutor, will support you until you qualify.
- Welcome online webinar and 1-2-1 virtual qualification briefing with your CMS
- Mandatory 2 days of workshops covering Psychological Insights, Observed Practice and Supervision
- 3 webinars and 2 books
- Online Module on Ethical Practice
- Coaching Practice with 3 clients
- 4 x 1 hour individual sessions with your CMS
- 4 x 1 hour individual sessions with Course Tutor / Assessor
- Completion of Personal Learning Plans, Coaching Logs and Reflection Notes (approx. 750 words)
- Telephone Assessment Interview
Each subject has dedicated reading and reflective practice built in, whilst you are supported by your CMS. Candidates can choose three of following subject areas:
- Coaching in the Context of Change
- Challenging Coaching
- Team Coach-Mentoring
- Managing Organisational Coaching and Mentoring
- Systemic Coaching – using constellations
- Unconscious Bias in Coaching - dealing with difference
- Coaching Technical Professionals
Candidates can also select additional ½ day CPD sessions on:
- Group Coaching (delivered virtually)
- Coaching Models and Techniques
Despite some differences in language, all of the major professional coaching bodies (EMCC, ICF, AC) broadly agree what constitutes best practice in coaching and there is also a commonly agreed Global Code of Ethics. So when you are making a decision as to which body is most appropriate, you need to find points of difference. For us, there are two main areas of difference that make the EMCC a compelling choice.
Firstly, its origins and sphere of influence. The EMCC was born in the UK with an international, business outlook created with both coaching and mentoring in mind. This contrasts with others like the ICF (American life coaching) and the AC (coaching only). It is these origins and underpinning values that drive its sphere of influence. For example, the CMI, ILM and many academic institutions reference and use the EMCC competency framework in their course content and assessment processes. For us, the inclusion of mentoring is important to our coach-mentoring philosophy.
Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, we strongly believe the EMCC’s approach to assessing coaching and mentoring competence is more powerful and helps create more competent, agile coach-mentors The EMCC’s insistence on demonstrating (and being assessed on) critical reflection of your practice is, we believe, more effective than either being assessed on your academic understanding (Universities) or on a pure non-directive observation of practice (ICF). Many organisations that hold duel accreditation will require separate assessment processes to meet these different approaches. However, as the EMCC's approach combines both of these aspects it can save you time whilst still being a rigorous process.
In the handbook you will find the following information:
- Learning Outcomes
- Suggested Programme Overview
- Evidence Requirements
- Submission File Requirements